Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Links for Sci-Fi and Fantasy Writers

I was doing some research for getting my blog out there and this website popped up. http://www.otherworlds.net/frameset.htm. It offers writing workshops, critique opportunities from people who are serious writers of the Sci-Fi/Fantasy genres, and the opportunity to help out others. One of the really cool things on this site is that there is a discussion about world building! (I love nerds, sigh*). Check it out. 

Books to Read:
There are always too many good books to read. Usually I have a list of books I want to read and then someone hands me a book or I find one that isn't on the list and I'm thrown into some adventure that takes twenty books to complete. Rant on my less-than-one-track-mind aside, here are a few great books I'd suggest if you're looking for some good summer reads. 


The Dark Tower, by Stephen King. 

Most of us have read Stephen King, but many people I know who are fans of King haven't read The Dark Tower series. The strange journey of Roland Deschain through different universes is a unique tale, even by King's standards, that fuses fantasy with an old Spaghetti-Western feel. In reading the forward, King claims (and I don't have the forward on me so this is not quoted verbatim) that The Dark Tower was inspired by The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly and Tolkein's Lord of the Rings. Click on the link above for a better description and, if you're into comic books, for links to the marvel comics. The artwork in them is amazing.

A House of Leaves, by Mark Z. Danielewski

This is one of those books that will change your entire perspective on what qualifies Horror. Frankly, it's a straight-up mind-f@#$, if I may say so. I'm not going to go into explaining the plot of the book since it's really one of those books that you just must read, but I will say that the structure is unique. There are pages on which the text itself spirals around the edge of the page to a point in the center like looking down a flight of spiral stairs. These strangely formatted pages reflect the state of mind of the character as he is going through them. Enough said. Check out the above link for a good book review.







Perdido Street Station, By China Meiville

This book is exactly what I'm talking about when I say that Genre Fiction can be incredibly unique and incredibly well-written. Mieville's characters and world are out there, dropping readers into a universe that is on a weirdness-level equivalent to Final Fantasy with its half-human half-bug people. Click on the link above for a review of this book and definitely check it out if you're into Sci-Fi.











I'll be posting more books and links, as well as exercises. 

In the meantime, PYB

P.s. Might start a new dragon logo. We all need more Dragons in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment